Trail user management
What is visitor management about:
- Understanding how mtbikers are using the infrastructures -> visitor monitoring
- Understanding what mtbikers (locals or visitors) are looking for -> (see mtb industrie)
- A system to actively manage / influence the behaviour of trail users
- Traditional user management is based on measures such as signage, restrictions, and zoning
- MTB specific management tools are often:
- maps, signage and info-boards
- communication campaigns, trail patrols
- Good trail user management can promote recreational activities in nature to a reasonable extent, while reducing conflicts between users and showing consideration for the needs of nature.
- In a broad sense, it also includes all possible ways to regulate the number of visitors, group size, length of visits, user groups
- Promoting a trail in the right way is important
- User group aimed for, necessary information like emergency plan, phone numbers etc.
- Consider user groups that share or navigate around the mtb trail network for a clear communication (see shared, preferred and single use trails)