In this context of the health crisis, ENOS has taken action to highlight the added value that outdoor sports can bring for individuals and communities and can be used to help in the process of restoration following the many challenges Europe is facing.
A position paper called “a manifesto for outdoor sports against the background of the health crisis” has been developed and issued to decision makers and outdoor sports stakeholders to stress the importance of the outdoors and provide some generic recommendations.
- Access to natural areas and green significant and unique benefits to health and well-being for people of all ages
- Physical activity should be strongly encouraged as lockdown measures or restrictions are eased
- Promote positive messaging regarding outdoor sports and local opportunities to participate
- There should be active communication between stakeholders for the use of natural spaces
- Outdoor sports should be practiced within the personal skills boundary
- Outdoor sports federations should be involved in policy development
- Clear guidance should be provided to outdoor sports professionals
- Provide support measures for struggling outdoor sports businesses
- Promote opportunities to participate at a local level
- Any Covid-19 containment exit measures should be developed with equality of opportunity in mind
- Promote low risk activities and areas for those most vulnerable from the disease
- Interventions need to be developed that can support the increase of local health enhancing physical activity in the outdoors
The combination of physical activity and access to nature will be of very significant importance to many people as the situation eases and will support restoration and mental healing
DOWNLOAD THE MANIFESTO HERE