The DIRTT project (Developing Intereuropean Resources for Trailbuilder Training) springs from the core of Europe’s mountain bike enthusiasts, volunteers and professionals centered around the European branch of the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA Europe). The aim is to develop trail building guidelines with an educational framework addressing the needs of professionals and volunteers in the sectors of trail planning, design, construction, maintenance and management.
The partners in the project are from a number of backgrounds including; advocacy organisations, sports associations, governmental- and educational institutions, tourism, as well as private enterprises in the sector. The countries involved are Switzerland, Portugal, Scotland, Netherlands, Denmark and Norway.
The three year project is coordinated by Fagskolen Tinius Olsen, a college of higher vocational education in Norway.
- Fagskolen Tinius Olsen - Norway
- International Mountain Bike Association Europe – Netherlands
- Scottish Cyclists Union / DMBinS - Scotland
- Edinburgh Napier University - Scotland
- BikePlan - Switzerland
- DGI - Denmark
- Município de Águeda - Portugal
- Opplysningskontoret for Terrengsykling - Norway
The project has been granted €387,731 through the European Union’s ERASMUS+ programme. The project will be coordinated by Fagskolen Tinius Olsen, a college of higher vocational education in Norway. The three year project aims to develop an educational framework and a professional training program for mountain bike trail builders.
Development stages of the project
The official announcement and kick-off meeting of the project took place at the Trail Building Summit in Zermatt, September 2019.
Currently, a MTB trail sector survey is executed to define the training needs of various stakeholders and identify possible skills & knowledge gaps. Organisations that operate in the domain of trail building, planning & design, management and maintenance of MTB / recreational trails are welcome to fill out this survey which will be open until the 3rd week of March 2020.
- >> Defining needs from stakeholders relating to planning construction and management of MTB trails
- Develop and define the ‘Educational framework’ version 1.0
- Develop content of the educational framework version 1.0
- Train key personal at the partnering institution in the educational framework
- Update the educational framework into version 2.0
- Dissemination of project results
The next public meeting of the DIRTT project (EU reference group) is planned at the European MTB Summit in Swieradow-Zdor, Poland, 22-24 of May 2020.